Traditional Registration for Commercial Activity

If you are operating under a Rule 333 exemption, your condition and limitations undoubtedly include the following:

All aircraft operated in accordance with this exemption must be identified by serial number, registered in accordance with 14 CFR part 47, and have identification (N−Number) markings in accordance with 14 CFR part 45, Subpart C.

So how do you do this?  The FAA page you want to study is here.  Let’s review how this might work for a drone that you bought new.  If yo have questions you can contact the FAA’s Aircraft Registration Branch.  

1.  You need to fill out an original Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1.  Unfortunately, right now you can’t download the form, so you are going to have to go in person to one of the Flight Standards District Offices.  Drill down to find the FSDO closest to you, and be sure to call ahead to confirm that they have the form and check whether you will need an appointment.

2.  Are you an LLC?  If so, congratulations, you have an additional hoop to jump through.  See here.

3.  You will need evidence of ownership.  This either will be an Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2, or a notarized statement conforming to the requirements shown on that page I told you to study.  You might be able to craft a combined noartarized statement with the full description nortarized document, so that you only have to pay for one notarization.

4.  Is the manufacturer or seller located outside the U.S.?  If so, then be aware you may be in for a special treat:  this may require a statement from the Civil Aviation Authority of the exporting country.  If you bought the aircraft new off the shelf from a US retailer you are probably okay here.  So, dont buy the drone when you are overseas.

5.  Did you reserve an N-number?  This is sort of the vanity plate version of tail numbers.  Maybe you want your fleet to have sequential numbers.  Whatever the reason, it will have cost you an additional $10.

6.  Prepare a full description of the sUA.  See the page for details on what must be included, have it notarized and be sure to include the statement "To the best of the undersigned's knowledge the information provided above is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner"

7.  Send all the above with $5 to the FAA in Oklahoma City, address here.

OR, wait until March 31, 2016.  This may all be put on-line.

`© Robert Rose 2015